Begin new routines as early as possible so your pets are comfortable with them well before the baby’s arrival:
- If possible, your partner should take over all pet care duties, such as:
- Get your pets used to being alone for chunks of time each day, even when you are home.
- Closing doors to create barriers is not always an option. Some ideas are:
- baby gates as barriers for dogs
- fly wire doors used as internal barriers for cats.
- If you need to change your pet’s sleeping arrangements, make sure their new sleeping area is safe and warm.
- If pets travel with you in the car, you may need to change the seating and restraints to make sure they are safely separated.